Create Your Grant Ready Signature Program
Your mission, should you choose to accept it…
This month we are learning what a signature program is, why we put one on paper, why what I’m teaching helps you get grants, and how step-by-step to put your program together. This is a meaty lesson so grab your favorite drink, get comfortable, and let’s dig in.
What is a Signature Program?
A signature program is the program or service the community knows you by.
A challenge I see around programs with new nonprofits is that their very first program doesn’t connect with their mission. Your first program is your Signature Program and will become what your nonprofit is known for in the community. This program needs to be deeply connected to your mission so people will understand your mission.
Why you need to do it:
Programs are how you fulfill your mission in the world.
- If you’ve seen the Fundamentals of Success (mission, vision, values) training, you know that your mission is the roots and your programs are the leaves and fruit. The program is the outward expression of your mission and how you change the world.
Developing a program is crucial to your organization’s prosperity.
- Programs help you with funding.
- Many funders and donors like to give to specific things or projects. Having a program allows them to give for specific needs.
- It is legal for your organization to collect fees for services. These fees can be on a sliding scale or a flat fee for people who meet certain criteria. Typically, income is the criteria used for both sliding scale and flat fee. Either way, there is always a segment of your target population that will get services for free. Fees for services allows your organization to offset expenses.
Programs allow you to deliver a service and measure its success.
- The way I have you develop a program makes you walk through exactly how the service will be delivered and built in ways to measure success. You will have these ready to go from the first day of implementation.
What you actually need to do:
Here are the steps for this lesson:
- Watch the video.
- Download the Implementation Guide.
- November 9, 2021, at 2 pm- We’ll go over Delivery, Evaluation, Outputs, and Outcomes for your Program and Q&A in the Facebook group, Nonprofit Founder’s Society.
- Tell us how it went in the Facebook group Nonprofit Founder’s Society.